Pediatric Laser Dentistry
No Shots…No Drill…No Pain Dentistry
What Is Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry was first approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1994, and it has been growing in popularity ever since. Like any laser, a Biolase Waterlase laser emits a tightly targeted beam of high energy light. The beam can reshape tissues in the mouth, act as a cutting tool, and instantly cauterize wounds. Laser dentistry requires special credentialing through the Academy of Laser Dentistry, so not all dentists are able to provide it. All of our dentist have extensive laser training and experience.
Why is Laser Dentistry Better?
Laser dentistry has not fully replaced traditional dentistry, but it can replace the drill in many procedures. Laser dentistry is considered minimally invasive, and is generally preferable to conventional treatments. There is less noise, pain or bleeding and, often, no shots. Laser dentistry is associated with fewer appointments and faster recovery times.
The benefits of laser dentistry include, but are not limited to:
- Reduced heat and vibration
- Little or no need for anesthetic shots
- Minimal bleeding
- Faster treatment time
- Shorter recovery time
- Reduced damage to healthy tissues
- Minimal post-operative swelling and discomfort
- Fewer infections or post-operative complications
Common Laser Dentistry Procedures
Lasers are used in a wide range of dental procedures. These include, but are not limited to:
- Reshaping gum tissue
- Biopsy or removal of soft tissue lesions and ulcers
- Removing areas of tooth decay
- Performing frenectomies (such as correction of ankyloglossia, or “tongue-tie”)
- Performing oral surgery and extractions
If your child needs dental work, ask how our “no shot” laser dentistry can help improve outcomes, decrease pain, and healing times.
If you are in the Levittown area and your child needs laser dentistry services, we invite you to call our office at 516-226-7337 for immediate assistance.